Monday, July 16, 2012

{Anthro-Inspired Statement Necklace: A How-To}

If you're like me, you sometimes find yourself drooling over the beautiful jewelry and accessories that blossom in the world of :Anthropologie:. With a variety of neon colors, mix-and-match styles and statement jewelry en vogue, I realized that although the fashion-cortex of my brain {a well-developed portion of my anatomy} does not coincide with my prefrontal cortex {where judgment prevails}, I would not allow this to hinder me from being fashionably fabulous.

And so, aha! -- I aspired to create my own.  Though I may not be able to sew a neon yellow skirt or create beautiful leather boots, but I sure as heck could create a statement necklace! {And for less than 50% cost compared to those from Anthro}.  With that, I'd like to share with you a little "how-to-" so that you may also spice up a few of those summer outfits!

Anthro-Inspired Statement Necklace*

1. Envision Your Creation.  Most of my jewelry ideas stem from AnthropologieJCrew or the lovely Pinterest.  Here is one that I found from Anthro {via Pinterest} that I absolutely adore:

{Inspiration: $48 via Anthropologie}


2.  Gather the Appropriate Supplies.  I used supplies I had previously purchased from Michael's, and also stopped by our local bead store to pick up a few items.  Some general jewelry-making supplies you may want to have on-hand include: bead stringing wire, clasps, jump rings, clamps, separator beads, scissors and jewelry pliars.  

{Supplies}

For this project, I used: 0.38mm jewelry-stringing wire, an oversized clasp & hoop combo, silver spacer beads and colorful statement beads. I decided to go with silver supplies aside from my colorful statement beads. To determine the length of this piece, I find it easiest to use a necklace that I already own, using it to measure-and-cut a piece of string at the desired length. Note that most statement necklaces tend to swoop a few inches below the collarbone, and this may vary person-to-person.

With a vision, or photo of your "look-alike", visit your local jewelry shop or Michael's and {with your pre-measured string and 40% coupon in-hand}, and collect a variety of beads that are somewhat similar to your idea. {{NOTE: Be sure to collect a few extra beads in each color for flexibility to change your design}} 

I ventured on a mission to collect similar-sized, yet "funky" shaped sea-green, black, coral and orange pieces with a statement bead (the disco-ball looking one) as a focal point.  I ended up collecting almost exactly what I initially envisioned, with the exception of three beautiful red beads in place of the single coral one. All-in-all, I spent about $16 on this piece (not including the approximate $10 in supplies I have used on multiple jewelry pieces - probably $3 a piece).  This leads to a grand total of: $19.00.


3. Map Out Your Plan.  Next, with your supplies at hand, an open table and an available hour of your day, arrange all of the supplies in the order in which you will use them.  For me, it looked like this:

4.  Cut Your Beading Wire & Tie. It should be 6 inches longer {minimum} than your desired necklace length so that you may tie the ends.  Tie one end of the wire to one of the clasp partners you purchased.  I recommend using a fly-tying technique commonly used when fly-fishing {Visit this knot index for ideas - I personally like the Uni Knot}.  You may also tie a traditional triple-knot, but be wary of it coming undone.  Utilization of your pliars may become handy at this point.

5. Begin Beading!  {I feel this part is pretty self-explanatory, so I will assume you know to follow the order in which you arranged your beads to place them on the wire}.

6. Tie Your End Knot.  Now, this knot is at the partnering clasp item's end.  I recommend using the same technique you performed prior to beading.  Be sure to leave one small bead's length of empty wire space so that the necklace flows and the knots do not break.

7. TA-DA!!! Low and behold, you have created a beautiful statement necklace for a fraction of the cost! {and, no shipping}.  



{The Finished Product}


Now all you need to do is jump-start your fashion cortex to coordinate an outfit to wear it with.  The "statement"? You are fashionably fabulous with a conscience for your budget.  Well done!










Here are a few other statement necklaces my friends & I have made:
{Statement & Seed-Bead}

{This one was created by the lovely Ashley Hynes}


Cheers to being fashionably fabulous,

K

2 comments:

  1. Love all of these!! I am totally going to have to try this! you are one talented lady :)

    ReplyDelete